The Montgomery Ward Building stood proudly on Fourth Avenue between Washington and Liberty in downtown Ann Arbor. Ward’s was a popular department store selling clothing, tires, furniture, linens, heaters, toys and bicycles. Their specialty was mail ordering, similar to that of their rival, Sears Roebuck & Co. It was rebuilt after a terrible fire in 1950, only to be destroyed by another fire in 1960. The building reflects style trends for commercial buildings in the 1920’s. Light-colored terracotta and other materials were the rage, as were decorations reminiscent of 18th-century designs, such as urns and swags.